Life Income Gifts
You may be tired of living at the mercy of the fluctuating stock and real estate markets. A life income gift is a gift made to a charity that can provide you with a secure source of fixed payments for life.
Benefits of a life income gift
- Receive fixed payments to you or another annuitant you designate for life
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction for the charitable gift portion of the life income gift
- Benefit from payments that may be partially tax-free
- Further the work of causes you care about with your gift
How a life income gift works
- You transfer cash or property to a charity.
- In exchange, we promise to pay fixed payments to you for life. The payment can be quite high depending on your age, and a portion of each payment may even be tax-free.
- You will receive a charitable income tax deduction for the gift portion of the life income gift.
- You also receive satisfaction, knowing that you will be helping further the mission of the charity you designate.
If you decide to fund your life income gift with cash, a significant portion of the life income gift payment will be tax-free. You may also make a gift of appreciated securities to fund a life income gift and avoid a portion of the capital gains tax. Please contact us to inquire about other assets that you might be able to use to fund a life income gift.
If you have any questions about charitable gift annuities, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer your questions.
Current life income gift (payments begin within one year). With a current life income gift, you may transfer cash or property in exchange for our promise to pay you fixed payments beginning as early as this year. You will receive an income tax charitable deduction this year for the value of your gift to a charity.
Deferred life income gift (for payments at future date). Perhaps you are not ready to begin receiving payments until a future date, such as when you retire. With a deferred life income gift, you establish the life income gift today, receive a charitable income tax deduction this year, but defer the payments until a designated date sometime in the future. Best of all, because you deferred the payments, your annual payment will be higher when the payments start than they would have been with a current life income gift.
Flexible deferred life income gift (gives you flexibility as to when the payments will start). With a flexible deferred life income gift, you retain the flexibility to decide when the life income gift will begin making payments. As with a deferred life income gift, you establish the life income gift today and receive a charitable deduction this year, but the payments are deferred until such time as you elect to begin receiving the payments.